Your Journey our Passion
Enjoy the most popular Alternative Trek, in a shorter time frame. The 4 days salkantay trek follows the same path as the five-day version, in order to accomplish the entire trek; we’ll spend a short time in a car on day two. Everyone can do this trek. You will get the views of Machu Picchu from the mountain that you will hike on third day. With our itinerary you don’t meet much people on the trail.
The private tour Salkantay Trek is just yourself, family or friends, your tour guide, chef and porters will be ready for all your demands, they will be ready to help you any times, we are very flexible, you basically organize your tour. Our service is very personalized and also all our private tours, we included round trip transportation from the airport to your hotel, from the hotel to the airport (both in Cusco)..
You will hike with the best team made of our guides, chefs, porters and horsemen. You will be proud of the people in our team for their hard work. We treat our team very well and provide them with everything they need to work well and respond to your needs. We have the best equipment to camp in each camping sites.
The tour guide will meet you at your hotel one day before your tour to give you a briefing. They will tell you all about your tour, and answer any questions you may have. It is important to us that you ask any questions you may have so the tour guide will get you ready for your amazing tour.
Extra porter is included to carry your personal stuff (8 kg duffle bag).
We included round trip transportation: Airport – Hotel, Hotel – Airport (Only Cusco).
Price: U.S.$ 750.00 per PersonBook Now
- TOUR NAME: SALKANTAY TREK PRIVATE SERVICE 4 DAYS / 3 NIGHTS.
- DISTANCE: 42 km / 25 miles.
- Day1: 15km/10 miles, 10 hours approx.
- Day2: 17 km /11 miles, 10 hours approx.
- Day3: 10 km/6 miles, 6 ½ hours approx.
- Type of trek: Nature, Cultural and history adventure and much more.
- Min. Elevation: 1850 m / 5920 ft.
- Max. Elevation: 4650 m / 14880 ft.
- Weather: From May to October dry season, from November to April wet season.
- Hot Spring: second Day, Optional at Santa Teresa Town.
- HuaynaPicchu Mountain: Optional, you can climb if you book the ticket.
- Machu Picchu Mountains: optional, you can climb if you book the ticket
- Train Service: Departure of your train ticket. We will confirm with you at the office.
- Hotel: You will spend the last night at a hotel ***.
- Departure Dates: Every Day.
Day 1: Cusco – Soraypampa – Soroycocha – Huayracmachay.
We will pick you up from your hotel with our private transportation at 4:30a.m. We will drive for 3 ½ hours to the trail head, called Soraypampa (3,850m/12400ft), along this portion of driving, we will have our first views of the impressive Salkantay and Humantay Mountain, as well as we observe lush vegetation and the fields of local families growing potatoes, quinoa, corn, etc.
At Soraypampa you will meet your horses and horseman who will pack everything for the trek and load the equipment onto horses. Once you arrive at Soraypampa, your chef will prepare your first breakfast, before hiking your tour guide will introduce all the team staff that will be working for you along the trail. Around 8:45 a.m. you will start to hike towards Machu Picchu.
The first 2 hours will be gradual uphill until you reach salkataytapampa (4100m / 13120ft ) which is the official resting place. Following you will continue walking gradual uphill for 2 hours until we reach our lunch spot called soyrococha (4400m / 14332ft). Here you will appreciate more views of the Valley and the Salkantay Mountain (6200m/21000ft) which are amazing. Lunch will be no far from impressive mountain of Salkantay.
After delicious lunch, we’ll keep walking up for another hour uphill until we reach the highest point of our trek Salkantay Pass 4,650 m/14880ft). It’s awesome to see the views of two differents valleys, the Salkantay mountain and the Pumasillo and also there is a chance to see a nice lake not far from Salkantay pass. After that we will continue descending for 3 hours to get our camp site called Wayracammachay 3,850/12400ft. Downhill part can be slippery, which you may require to use trekking poles. And on the way down. You will get to enjoy the sunset and the silence of the valley. Upon your arrival, our guide and porters will welcome you to your camp. Your tents will be all set up. The only thing that you will need to do it’s to walk, to eat, to sleep.
- Meals: Breakfast, Snacks, Lunch, Happy hour, Dinner
- Hot water bottles for the night
- Lowest Elevation: 3,900 m/ 12480 ft
- Highest Elevation: 4,650 m/ 14,880 ft
- Distance of walking: 15 km/10 miles
- Approximate walking time: 10 hours
- Level of Difficulty: Challenging
- Area: Dry Mountain
Day 2: Wayraqmachay – Qolpapampa – Lucmabamba.
It is our challenging day! This will be our longest day because we will hike 18 kilometers (around 10 hours) towards to Lucmabamba, and today will be mostly downhill with gradual up and down. We will wake up early in order to have more time on the trail. Wake up time will be with your amazing Coca Tea to your tent. We will start to trek around 6:30am. The first section will be mostly downhill for 4 hours to reach lunch stop called Qolpapampa 2900m/ 9280ft.
On the way down the micro-climate changes from the high mountains which is cold to the cloud forest which is warmer and humid, you will hike into the cloud forest(mountain forest), where you will have chance to enjoy the amazing flora and fauna of the forest mountain. After lunch we’ll walk another 5 hours on a gradual downhill and uphill until we reach punta carretera where a car will be waiting for us to transport for 30 minutes to our camp Lucmabamba. This area experiences micro-climate changes from the cloud forest, to the rain forest,and along the way; you will see many waterfalls, the green lush valley, coffee farm, passion fruit, oranges, avocados and much more. Our Tour Guide will explain more about the things around included the Inca History. Today is warm and humid basically all day. . Upon your arrival, your team will welcome you to your camp. Your tents will be all set up. This camp spot is only by Runas Expeditions.
As an option, you can do an incredible coffee tour at the plantation adjacent to the campsite. We will begin by browsing the fields, learning about the different types of beans, and picking our own beans. You will definitely have the best experience drinking the local coffee and if you want to buy some coffee you can purchase from the people. There are also several fields of tomatoes and avocados which our chef will pick for our dinner.
- Meals: Breakfast, Snacks, Lunch, Happy hour, Dinner
- Lowest Elevation: 2,000 m/ 6,400 ft
- Highest Elevation: 3900 m/ 12,160 ft
- Distance of walking: 17km/11 miles
- Approximate walking time: 10 hours
- Area: humid and warm.
Day 3: Lucmabamba – Llactapata – hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes.
We will get up early to enjoy the last day of hiking, and we will climb another mountain and hiking on the Inca trail to reach the first Inca site called llaq’tapata inca watch tower (2700m or 8640ft), which will take around 3 hours from the camp to the Inca site. The views on the way up are spectacular and also you will appreciate how the Inca trails used to be in the Inca times and learn all about. The hike is intense and at the same time enjoyable.
From llaq’tapata (Inca watchtower) you will be able to see part of the Machupicchu city, Machupicchu Mountain, Huaynapicchu Mountain, and Salkantay Mountain and much more, the experience is unique being in here no everyone does this hike to reach this Inca site, we are the only ones who do this, and the professional Tour Guide will explain all about. Afterwards you will continue descending for 3 hours to get lunch around 12:30pm.
Lunch place is near to hydroelectric station (1800m or 5900ft). After lunch, you will say goodbye to your team (chef and porters), this is the time where you can organize some tips for them. For us it is very important how happy you are about the service.
After this little ceremony with your team, we will take a train to Aguas Calientes around 3pm for one hour. Once we arrive, your tour guide will take you to your hotel.
Later on we will have dinner in a good touristic restaurant, and celebrate completing our hike!
Optional to go to hot spring in Aguas Calientes Town before dinner.
- Meals: Breakfast, Snacks, Lunch, Dinner
- Lowest Elevation: 1,850 m/ 5,920 ft
- Highest Elevation: 2,850 m/ 9,120 ft
- Distance of walking: 10km/6 miles
- Approximate walking time: 6 ½ hours
- Area: humid and warm
Day 4. Aguas Clientes - Machu Picchu, and back to Cusco.
The most important day. Today you will be visiting the famous Sacred City of the Incas Machu Picchu. You will have to get up very early and have breakfast in order to catch one of the first touristic buses to Machu Picchu. People normally get up at 4:30am. To enjoy the sun rise and avoid the crowded.
The first bus is at 5:30am. And takes 30 minutes to Machu Picchu. It can be enjoyable to arrive at the ruins as soon as they open the check point, at 6 a.m., to catch the magical mists on the ruins as the sun rises. Your tour guide will take you to the famous spot which has the best views for your classic photos of Machu Picchu. Then we will start the two hours of guiding tour, walking, visiting, and exploring all of the famous places of this amazing Inca city: guardian's house, the Sun temple, Temple of Mother Earth, The Intiwatana (sun dial), Main Plaza, temple of the Condor and much more to explorer.
After the guiding tour, you’ll get free time so you will have time to explore the ruins on your own. If you are climbing Huayna Picchu Mountain or Machu Picchu Mountain, you will head to do that excursion.
If you don’t have the tickets for the mountains, you have more option, you can walk to the Sun Gate and get its amazing views or also you walk to the Inca Bridge so both of them are amazing and less crowded. Once you’ll have done with Machu Picchu you will take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes to enjoy your lunch at one of the many restaurants or you can arrange as group to have the last lunch together. Make sure to arrive at train station 30 minutes before your departure.
Your transportation back to Cusco will be by train and bus. From Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo town, you will take a train, which will take 1 hour and half. After that, from Ollantaytambo to Cusco, you will go by our private van, which will take 2 hours.
All transportation in Cusco will be to your hotel.
- Meals: Breakfast.
- Huayna Picchu costs extra $25 per person (optional).
- Machu Piccu Mountain costs extra $15 per person (optional).
- If you want to stay an extra night, just lets us know and we can help book a hotel in Aguas Calientes, as well as your train ticket for the next day
- Rangers don't allow people to carry bags bigger than 25 liters in Machu Picchu.
- No trekking poles are allowed in Machu Picchu
- Snacks and water are allowed, but they need to be in bags.
- Area: humid and warm.
- Lowest Elevation: 2,040 m/ 6,691 ft
- Highest Elevation: 2,400 m/ 7,800 ft.
Note: all our tour guides will take you to the official place to take the classic pictures of Machupicchu, and after this the tour guide will start the tour. Also, if you would like to hike Machupicchu or Huaynapicchu Mountain, or do any other upgrade, please let us know and we will arrange for you.
Huaynapicchu and Machupicchu Mountain you should book in advance like 3 month before doing any tours in Peru.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Original Passport.
- International Student Card (if pay as a student).
- Immigration card.
- Walking boots.
- Walking stick.
- Good backpack or daypack.
- Waterproof jacket.
- Warm jacket, hat and gloves.
- Recyclable water container or camel bag.
- Comfortable trousers.
- Sun hat + sunglasses.
- Sun protection cream.
- Insect repellent.
- Toiletries (toilet paper, wet wipes, personal towel).
- Torch or head lamp.
- Personal medication.
- Extra money for any emergency.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
- Professional Tour Guide
- Assistant Guide (for more than 9 people)
- Pick up from your hotel.
- Transportation to the starting point of the trek and return to Cusco
- Round trip bus ticket from MachuPicchu to Aguas Calientes town
- Train ticket from hydroelectric to aguas calientes town.
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Private minivan from Ollantaytambo to cusco.
- Entrance fee to MachuPicchu.
- Guiding tour at MachuPicchu site.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs.
- Kitchen tent.
- Chef, porters and horsemen.
- Drinking water (boiled and filtered).
- 4-man tent (only 2 people enter).
- Hot water bottles for the night camping.
- Hot water for washing.
- biodegradable soap.
- 4 breakfasts, 3 morning snacks, 3 lunches, 2 happy hours, 4 dinners.
- Sleeping mattress (foam).
- Sleeping bag.
- Inflatable Mattress.
- Rain poncho.
- Duffle bag for your personal gear (holds 8kg)
- Toilet tent.
- Rain covers for your backpacks.
- First Aid kit and oxygen bottle
- Horses for our camping and cooking equipment.
- Horse for emergencies in case you need it.
- Hotel at Aguas Calientes ***.
- Pre-trek briefing.
- Pick up from the airport to your hotel in Cusco.
- Pick up from your hotel to the airport in Cusco.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED?
- The last lunch in Aguas Calientes.
- Tips to guide, chef, porters and horsemen.
- Hiking poles U.S $20.00
- Sleeping bag U.S. $25.00
- Private Tent U.S $30.00
- Vistadome train -US $75
- Huayna Picchu Mountain US$ 30.00
- Machu Picchu Mountain US$ 30.00
Every camping tour includes a spacious 4 man tent that will be shared by only two people so you can spread out a bit. These are all King Camp Tents made for all seasons, and Inflatable Mattress are included. Our rentals are top of the line: Black Diamond Adjustable Walking Sticks . Sleeping Bags rented from us are mummy style down bags for -15C and liners are always included.
Every trek includes a chef that has been trained in culinary school. They have learned the magic of mountain cooking and you will be amazed. You will enjoy full breakfast, lunch and dinner all served hot and tasty. We also include Happy Hour with snacks and some hot tea before dinner. The key to feeling good on a trek like this is eating well and staying hydrated.
Meals are all served family style - large plates for everyone to take what they like. And all food restrictions are honored. No matter if you are vegetarian or gluten free, you will always be well fed.
Price: $750.00 USD Per person.
- Student Discount (only with active green ISIC card): US$25.00
- Under 18 years will pay as student: US$25.00
The Best Equipment
Runas Expeditions - Trekking & Expeditions Specialist
RE is a leader tour company in Trekking and Expeditions to Machu Picchu. We are working hard to create your best trip lifetime in Peru, All our tours are strictly operated by Runas Expeditions with the best staff.